The Friends of Berrien County Trails is currently seeking funding to develop a Berrien County Trails Mater Plan. The goal of this plan is to promote trail connectivity, alternative transportation, safety for all users, recreational opportunities and economic development. Having a county-wide plan will provide a resource for governments and agencies securing grant funds to implement the county wide vision for trails.
Trail facilities addressed in the plan will include:
- Shared Use Paths
- Paved Shoulders, Bike Lanes, Sharrows
- US/County/Local Bike Routes
- Water Trails
- Parks with Hiking Trails, Mountain Biking Trails, Cross Country Skiing Trails and Equestrian Trails
The planning process will engage the entire County, local governments, community groups, and citizens in developing a robust trail master plan that will connect cities, villages, townships, parks and major destinations throughout the county.
Project Manager & Fiscal Agent: Friends of Berrien County Trails- a 501(c)(3) non-profit
Purpose of the Master Plan:
- inventory and analyze the existing and planned trail routes in Berrien County;
- provide an overarching guide for future trail planning and implementation throughout Berrien County;
- provide for enhanced connectivity between all the cities, villages, and townships and major destinations;
- serve as a guide for local governmental agencies for planning future investment priorities;
- provide supporting documentation for requests and applications for future funding and grants;
- recognize trails as a key amenity that enhance the vitality of communities and a region;,
- attract world class talent to our local businesses;
- promote economic development;
- support tourism; and
- provide for a healthy lifestyle.
- inventory and analyze existing and planned trail routes in Berrien County;
- conduct a robust community and stakeholder engagement process;
- identify community economic development and tourism opportunities that relate to connecting trails to local communities and businesses;
- develop recommended strategies for future facility improvements, enhanced economic impact, funding and implementation.